EWR Discovering Jade
EWR Discovering Jade
The bowl in the center has a companion, and it was acquired in one of the many arts and crafts festivals we attended over the years. I suspect it came from someplace in Northern California since that's where we did most of our festival browsing.
The ring on the right is especially significant. The stone was acquired by my grandmother on one of her trips to the Orient in the early part of the last century. She originally had it mounted in a tie pin for my grandfather.
My mother required it at some point. She had had it re-mounted in a small gold band as a ring. Eventually she gave it to me.
I kept it for years and when my 60th birthday came around I asked Floss if she would have it made into a more sturdy ring as an inlay. We took it to a jeweler in Boulder Creek whose work we had admired, and he fashioned the ring from 14 karat gold.
Ironically, I developed dermatitis not long after acquiring the ring, and had to forgo wearing rings. It no longer fits my finger and it will slip off if I try it on. So now it's on display for me and others to appreciate.
According to the International Gem Society:
"Jade symbolism includes associations with nobility and wealth. Many consider it a protector of generations, living and dead. Jade has been and always will be the "Gem Supreme" and the "Jewel of Heaven," stone of the heart.
Ancient stoneworkers everywhere valued the smooth feel and versatility of jade. When struck, thin pieces of this stone produced clear, tinkling sounds. Not surprisingly, jade symbolism has often encompassed themes of harmony, eternity, and virtue."
May its themes infuse my life...
No comments:
Post a Comment